Breaking news - Service provider pulls out of cottage hospital replacement plan

thegazette@jpress.co.uk
thegazette@jpress.co.uk

In a surprise announcement the Order of St John has pulled out of the project to replace Brackley’s aging cottage hospital.

The project has taken more than 20 years to develop, and a planning application for a health campus on the Network 401 development off Northampton Road is set to be considered by Northants Council next month.

MCBW 25-12-09 - Brackley Cottage Hospital

MCBW 25-12-09 - Brackley Cottage Hospital

In a statement from the Brackley Primary Care Campus project Core Development Group today, Wednesday, August 21, they said: “The Orders of St John Care Trust (OSJCT) has formally withdrawn from the Brackley Primary Care Campus project.

“OSJCT had been selected to run the Care Home within which the Intermediate Care beds from Brackley Cottage Hospital would have been sited.

“The outline planning application for the Primary Care Campus including a nursing home (as part of the larger Northampton Road scheme) will still proceed and the Core Development Group understand will be considered by the South Northamptonshire Planning Committee in September 2013.”

The Core Development Group including representatives from the Brackley GP practices and Cottage Hospital, in conjunction with Nene Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is looking at a range of alternative options to re-provide the Cottage Hospital beds in the new facility.

Dr Charles Perrott of the Core Development Group, said: “This is disappointing news at this late stage, but we have received reassurance from Nene CCG that the provision of intermediate care beds in the community is essential for the future of the NHS locally.”

George Britchfield, chairman of the Cottage Hospital Trust, said: “The Trustees remain resolved to continue to support the operation of Brackley Cottage Hospital until such time as the intermediate care bed contract is re-provided in a new facility.”