DRAFT plans for a new 500-home estate in Bicester were presented to the town council on Wednesday night.
Town planner David Keene from David Lock Associates was invited to speak with the planning committee after details of the 500-home development in Gavray Drive were sent to Bicester Town Council in November.
A planning application had been sent to Cherwell District Council (CDC) in 2008. The council did not reach a decision, and more information was requested by CDC in September.
Mr Keene said plans had been put on hold by the recession, but said he hoped CDC would sign an extension to the planning permission this week.
The 57-acre plot of land between Gavray Drive and the London-Birmingham railway line would have two neighbourhoods, one at each end, and separated by a county wildlife site in the centre.
A new primary school would be created at the western end, and several ponds would be created to support the local newt population.
Concerns raised by councillors included the number of new play areas the council would have to maintain.
“We already have a plethora of play areas in Bicester, some with only two pieces of play equipment, and we’d like that to be avoided,” said Councillor Lynn Pratt.
Councillor James Porter also raised concerns over safety measures regarding the ponds.