Calvert incinerator plan approved

editorial image
0
Have your say

PLANS for a 300,000-tonne-per-year waste incinerator near Calvert were approved by Bucks County Council today, Friday.

The incinerator at Lower Greatmoor Farm was approved by seven votes to two following a two-day meeting of the council’s development committee.

The result will be a bitter blow to campaigners who have fought against the proposal for more than three years.

Chairman David Polhill said the application had been the most difficult planning decision the committee had ever had to make.

John Plant, spokesman for applicants WRG (Waste Recycling Group), said he was pleased with the decision.

He added: “This state-of-the-art residual waste treatment infrastructure will end Buckinghamshire’s reliance on unsustainable and costly landfill.”

The planning permission is covered by more than 50 conditions, including a ban on building work on Sundays and bank holidays.

WRG says the plant will generate 22MW of electricity and save Bucks taxpayers around £100 million in landfill charges during the life of the 30-year contract.

Construction will take three years, and the incinerator will create about 40 permanent jobs.