Chimney fire in Grendon Underwood

A chimney caught fire at a home in Grendon Underwood last night, Monday (13/12).

Firefighters from Aylesbury attended the fire on Main Street, just after 6pm.

Bucks Fire and Rescue are urging householders to have their chimneys swept before lighting fires to help combat the colder weather.

People are advised to follow these safety tips.

Have your chimney swept at least once a year – and at least twice a year if you burn wood.

When burning wood, use dry, seasoned woods only.

Build smaller, hotter fires that burn more completely and produce less smoke.

Never burn cardboard boxes or waste paper.

Do not overload the grate or appliance.

Use a fire or spark guard to prevent accidental fires.

Inspect your chimney breast, particularly in the roof space. Make sure that it is sound and that the sparks or fumes cannot escape through cracks or broken bricks.

Consider having a carbon monoxide detector fitted.

Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house.

Fire safety advice is free and easy to obtain from Bucks Fire and Rescue.

If you would like any advice or information, contact the community safety team on 01296 744477 or send an email to cs@bucksfire.gov.uk.