Firefighters’ warning after village chimney fire

Firefighters have issued a warning following a chimney fire in Akeley yesterday, Sunday.

A fire crew from Buckingham used specialised chimney apparatus to put out the fire in Lillingstone Road at 7.15pm.

And now Bucks Fire & Rescue Service is urging householders to have their chimneys swept before lighting fires.

Community safety manager Terry Ridgley said: “It appears that more and more people are using open fires and wood burners because of the rising costs of gas, electricity and oil. If you have recently opened up and started to use a fireplace, please make sure it is inspected by a qualified person.

“In order to keep you and your family safe from fire, you need to take necessary steps such as ensuring your chimney is swept regularly. I would also urge all householders to have working smoke alarms in their homes.”

If you would like free fire advice or information, contact the community safety team on 01296 744477 or email cs@bucksfire.gov.uk