DCSIMG

Man rescued from blaze after quick-thinking neighbour called for help

Aylesbury High Street in the 1920s

Aylesbury High Street in the 1920s

An unconscious man was rescued from a burning building on Monday, after a vigilant neighbour rang 999.

Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service was called at about 3.30pm, after a neighbour spotted smoke coming from the first floor window of a house in Spindleside, Bicester.

When fire crews from Kidlington, Oxford and Deddington managed to get into the building, they discovered a fire on the ground floor.

As the crews worked to put the fire out, a quick search by firefighters using a thermal imaging camera located an unconscious man on the first floor. He was treated at the scene and transferred to the John Radcliffe Hospital by the Thames Valley & Chiltern Air Ambulance.

Group manager Mitchell said: “The occupier was very fortunate that the fire was noticed by the neighbour.

“This situation could have been far more serious had the neighbour not been so vigilant and dialled 999 immediately.

“Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service cannot stress the importance of having a working smoke alarm on each floor of your property.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page