Smoke alarm advice following fire at flats on a Winslow street

SONY DSC
SONY DSC

A firefighter is reminding homeowners about the importance of smoke detectors following a blaze at a block of flats in Winslow.

At around 3.45pm on Wednesday, August 7, five fire crews were called to Lowndes Way following reports of a fire in a bedroom.

Buckingham crew manager Kieran Thomas said as the fire happened during the day no one was home, and it was only the smoke alarm which alerted a neighbour.

They dialed 999 immediately allowing fire crews to get there before the fire had a chance to spread to other flats. He added: “Early indications are it started in the bedroom from some kind of electrical device, but we are unable to ascertain exactly what it was due to the damage caused by the fire.

“The bedroom was severely damaged and there was smoke damage to the rest of the flat.

“We thought it might spread to the roof but we were able to contain it to the flat of origin.

“There were no injuries but people were evacuated from the area and the other flats were checked.

“The fire alarm activated which alerted a neighbour and they spotted smoke. It just re-iterates the importance of having a functioning smoke alarm.”

Bucks Fire and Rescue provide free home safety checks and will also install smoke detectors at no cost. Book a check through the fire service on 01296 744477.

But Mr Thomas said ‘when in doubt, get them out,’ adding: “We live in a bells and whistles society and people often ignore things like car alarms.

“But people still need to be vigilant, and if there’s any doubt we’d rather be called out on a false alarm than see people injured.”