TWYFORD villagers have started a petition to reopen their roadbridge, which was closed to motor vehicles by Transport for Bucks (TfB) this week.
At yesterday’s, Thursday, meeting of Bucks County Council, councillor of Buckingham South Hedley Cadd asked when the bridge would be reopened.
Cabinet member for planning and transportation Peter Hardy said: “Engineers are working on a solution and we are hoping for a reopening in the autumn. I do understand it is very inconvenient for residents and we are doing all we can to get a speedy solution.”
The bridge over the disused railway line was declared to be in a dangerous condition last September and a Road Closed notice and temporary barriers were erected by TfB.
But residents had started ignoring the ban and using the bridge anyway, because the alternative route north to Buckingham, through Charndon, adds an extra two and a half miles to their journey.
On Tuesday, TfB finally closed the road, with metal posts concreted into the carriageway at both ends. Pedestrians and bicycles can still pass.
Now residents are collecting signatures on a petition, and so far every household in the 200-home village has signed.
Chairman of Twyford Parish Council, Roger Landells, said: “As we said before, it’s a great shame they didn’t discuss it with us beforehand.
“I had a conversation today with Steve Jenkins, the operations manager for this area. He has promised me that within a month he will meet with us to deliver a short-term and a long-term solution.”
MP for Buckingham John Bercow has written to Bucks County Council’s head of transport Jim Stevens to say: “It is extremely disappointing that the decision to close the bridge has been taken, apparently without consultation with Twyford residents.”