Village licks its wounds after housing decision

Silverstone residents protest against proposals for 220 homes on Catchyard Farm by Barwood Land and Estates outside SNC offices ahead of a planning inquiry.
Silverstone residents protest against proposals for 220 homes on Catchyard Farm by Barwood Land and Estates outside SNC offices ahead of a planning inquiry.

A decision that could pave the way for hundreds of new homes in Silverstone is being considered by residents and the local authority.

Last week Silverstone residents received news that Eric Pickles, secretary of state for communities, was upholding a decision by a planning inspector to allow the development of 220 homes at Catch Yard Farm.

South Northants Council’s planning committee had refused permission for the development in September last year on a number of grounds, including their policy to concentrate housing expansion in Brackley and Towcester and that the homes would be an ‘unacceptable and undesirable’ intrusion into open countryside.

SNC also said that 95 per cent of 352 people questioned by Silverstone Parish Council were against the development and that they could already satisfy the Government’s targets for new housing over the next five years.

However the Secretary of State agreed with the inspector’s findings that SNC policies guiding development were out-of-date and were outweighed by the need for more housing.

Dermot Bambridge, SNC member for Silverstone, said around 30 residents attended a Silverstone Parish Council meeting on Tuesday evening to discuss the latest decision.

He said: “At the moment SNC is studying the 69-page letter which came with the decision to see if there are grounds for a judicial review. It’s caused a lot of upset.”