As 500 people a year are killed by poor food hygiene South Northants Council is sending out leaflets to households warning of potentially lethal bad habitats.
The leaflet campaign was launched after the Food Standards Agency found 81 per cent of people in the East Midlands admitted one or more habits that put them at risk. Bad habits include eating food which had been dropped on the floor (30 per cent), not washing hands properly before preparing food (21 per cent) and eating food after the use by date (43 per cent).
The figures have been released to coincide with national Food Safety Week, which runs from June 10 to 16.
Throughout the week SNC will provide Kitchen Check leaflets across the district including unmanned stands at the Towcester Centre for Leisure, Brackley Leisure Centre and district libraries.
There are a million cases of food poisoning each year, including 20,000 hospitalisations and 500 deaths.