WORKERS in Towcester got the chance to soak up some mid morning sun today after they were evacuated following reports of fumes emanating from a manhole cover.
An eyewitness said people at the scene thought a cesspit had caught fire under the premises of the engineering Firm Sandwell UK Ltd.
He added: “One of the workers told me there was manhole cover which was red hot. When someone poured water over it the water evaporated immediately.”
At around midday a spokesman in the Northants Fire and Rescue Service control room said the incident was on going and the precise details were yet to emerge.
He added: “Fire crews were called at 9.22am and are currently flushing through the drain with water, but it is not a fire or chemical incident. The initial call was to a smell of fumes from a manhole cover.
“The business premises where the manhole cover is located was evacuated for precautionary reasons.”
Three fire crews from Mereway and the Mounts in Northampton and the Daventry crew are currently dealing with the situation and the Environment Agency officers are due to inspect the site.
More to follow.