Green bags hat-trick as Brackley progress in cup

Brackley hat-trick hero Charlie Green
Brackley hat-trick hero Charlie Green
Have your say

Brackley Rugby Club progressed into round two of the RFU Junior Vase competition following a comfortable 32-5 victory against Stoke Old Boys.

The Northamptonshire outfit travelled to Coventry in high spirits having started the season impressively and they produced another accomplished display against Stoke.

After an initial slow start to the game, Brackley eventually got their act together, playing an expansive game by spreading the ball wide for both wingers to feature on the scorecard while the forwards gained the upper hand to deny the home side a decent supply of the ball.

Despite this, it was Stoke Old Boys that made the more dynamic start as it took Brackley half-an-hour to breach the home side’s spirited defence.

Once that defence had been prised open, Stoke struggled to contain Brackley, who went on to secure five tries, two conversions and a penalty goal against a late consolation try.

Brackley’s forwards opened the scoring with prop Graeme Cartmell making a race for the line before offloading to number eight Neil Thompson, who crashed over in the corner.

Moments later, another forward surge carried the ball well inside Stoke Old Boys’ 22. From there it was spun across the three-quarters for wing Charlie Green to round the opposition and touch down behind the posts, centre Jake Wise adding the conversion for a half time lead of 12-0.

Green was back in action immediately after the restart, scorching down the right wing for another try by the posts, safely converted by Wise.

A penalty goal from Wise then gave Brackley a cushion of 22 points before wing Rory Thomas gathered a miscued kick from Stoke Old Boys and ran straight and hard down the touchline for Brackley’s fourth try.

Green soon followed with another long run on the opposite wing to bag his hat-trick and complete Brackley’s scoring, the conversion attempt from Wise rebounding off the near goal post.

Refusing to capitulate, Stoke Old Boys came back at Brackley to secure a line out from a penalty kick deep into their territory.

Winning the throw, the home side caught Brackley on the hop with a well-executed move to grab an unconverted try in the closing minutes.

This Saturday, Brackley make a 150-mile round trip to Lincolnshire where they meet Bourne in the third league match of the season.

Bourne have not made the best of starts to their campaign and Brackley will be seeking to consolidate their position at the top of Midlands 4 East (S).