The MoD is expected to reveal its shortlist of bidders for the former RAF Bicester airfield next week after the site was put back on the market earlier this summer.
The news came in a presentation to members of Cherwell District Council’s overview and scrutiny committee by the council’s development director Kelvin Bell.
Speaking yesterday, Thursday, committee chairman Councillor Ann Bonner said: “I had asked for an up-to-the-minute update on this.
“Committee members got a very detailed briefing on the situation with RAF Bicester, up to the recent decision to support Bomber Command Heritage.
“The first part of the bidding process will be complete at the end of this week.
“We’re awaiting a decision on who successfully goes through to the next stage of the process.
“The MoD will select some or all of the bids. I believe there are six, including Bomber Command Heritage.”
National campaign group Bomber Command Heritage has proposed the creation of a living history and education centre at RAF Bicester.
English Heritage has described RAF Bicester as, “...the best-preserved of the bomber bases built in the Expansion Period of the 1920s.”
Cllr Bonner said: “Although our overarching responsibility is to serve the interests of our service users, this is a very worthy project. We support Bomber Command Heritage, and hope we can steer them towards a successful bid.”
She added: “The big news will be who gets through to the next stage.”