THE chairman of Bicester Town Council’s planning committee has expressed concern over more heavy lorries using the A41 and M40 after plans for a second waste incinerator near Bicester were approved by Bucks County Council on Friday.
The incinerator at Lower Greatmoor Farm near Calvert, around five miles from Bicester, will process up to 300,000 tonnes of non-recycleable waste every year.
Plans for an Ardley waste incinerator were approved by secretary of state Eric Pickles following a public inquiry last year.
Lorries will bring waste from the south of the county up the M40, along the A41 between Bicester and Aylesbury, and up to the incinerator from a new access road off the A41.
Councillor Richard Mould, planning committee chairman, said: “Although we’re not in the same county, we were asked for our views.
“We said we felt it was unnecessary, as we felt there was sufficient capacity at the one in Ardley and the one in Stewartby in Bedfordshire.
“We drew attention to all the waste coming up by road from the south using the M40 and A41, which are already overcrowded, but they chose to ignore it all.”
He added: “I don’t believe personally it is necessary.
“I think, obviously, some of the dangers for Bicester will depend on whichever way the wind is blowing.
“We will get whatever comes out of the chimney from one way or the other.
“But the biggest issue for me is the traffic.”
Wendy Tobitt, spokesman for the Berks, Bucks and Oxon Wildlife Trust (BBOWT), said incinerator applicants Waste Recycling Group (WRG) had agreed to make changes to their access road route following discussions.
The access route lies close to sensitive areas including the BBOWT’s Finemere Wood nature reserve.
WRG says the incinerator will create 40 permanent skilled jobs.