Family safe after house fire

editorial image
Share this article

An Upper Arncott family escaped from a house fire on Sunday after being alerted by a smoke alarm.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said two crews from Bicester Fire Station were called to the home in Murcott Road just after 2.30pm. They were joined by crews from Oxford and the Defence Fire Service in Arncott.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire in the bedroom it started in, although the rest of the home suffered heavy smoke damage.

Station manager Jim Davies said: “The smoke alarm gave early warning to the residents of the property allowing them to escape and call the fire and rescue service. The fire could have developed into a fully-involved house fire with dire consequences, had it not been for the early discovery by the fitted smoke alarm.”

Residents are reminded to check their smoke alarms.