Gaunt fires Bicester to victory over Wycombe


Wycombe 3rds 1

Bicester men’s 1sts 4

BICESTER returned to winning ways with a Harry Gaunt hat-trick seeing them to a 4-1 win against Wycombe. 

In a great all-round team performance, Bicester dominated from nearly start to finish with some slick passing and inter-play helping them to keep control of the match.

The first goal was from a short-corner, with Jonny Reid’s first strike crippling their captain, allowing him another attempt on his reverse stick to drill the ball to the back post where Harry Gaunt applied the finish to send Bicester on their way.

The second goal soon followed with Wayne Dobbings making a superb run into the opposition D where he squared the ball around the keeper for Gaunt to again apply a simple finish. The defence, with Peter Bowen back in goal, look composed throughout the first half with Martyn Southam, Dan Round, Stu Goodacre and C.J. Birtles tackling outstandingly to stop the Wycombe midfield, while Stu Locke and Roy Carter were solid in midfield. 

The second-half saw Bicester take their foot off the gas a little bit with most of them probably dreaming of their post match Malibu a little too early.

Wycombe managed to score a well worked goal which was tapped in at the back post and it took an angry captain Dan Round to inspire Bicester to get the next goal. It was swift in coming with Luke Smith making a good run into the opposition D to win a short-corner which was eventually dispatched by Locke following a good initial save from the Wycombe keeper.

At 3-1 both teams were reduced to ten men when Adam Buxey clashed with the Wycombe left-back, although this did nothing to stem the attacking verve of Bicester.

With more space on the pitch Jonny Reid broke down the left hand side, avoiding the tackles of the Wycombe defence and played a firm ball into Gaunt at the penalty spot who managed to turn and loop the ball into the corner of the Wycombe net to secure the three points for Bicester.

Stu Goodacre picked up the man-of-the-match for an imperious display in defence, calmly controlling the game and not allowing the young Wycombe team any respite. Bicester travel to Eastcote this weekend with confidence high.

Phoenix & Ranelagh 4

Bicester 4ths 1

Bicester were very disappointed by this defeat to Phoenix as for most of the first half they dominated possession and looked the more likely team to score.

However once again they were let down by poor finishing in the D and failed to capitalise on any opportunities that came their way. In contrast in the first half Phoenix gave their visitors too much respect and tended not to commit too heavily to attack which resulted in few goal scoring opportunities.

However they converted two of three chances, one from a penalty corner and the second just before half time when Martin Austin senior misjudged a clearance right into the path of a Phoenix player who gleeful accepted the opportunity to slot the ball into an empty net.

In the second half Bicester again applied the pressure and Shaun Varney had some good scoring chances but Bicester finally clawed one back through Gary Kemp who in his first game for over a year roofed a strike from a penalty corner at the second attempt.

Phoenix then dominated the rest of the game after a quick break put them 3-1 up and the use of their numerous substitutes helped them maintain the pressure and with five minutes to go they scored a fourth goal to put the game out of Bicester’s reach.

>>In other matches Bicester 2nds lost 6-1 at OMT Babas and Bicester 3rds were trounced 9-0 by Oxford 8ths.

Bicester Ladies 2nds were edged 3-2 at Banbury Ladies 3rds.

Reading University Ladies 4ths drubbed Bicester Ladies 3rds 10-1.

> Bicester Hockey Club runs four men’s teams, three ladies teams, a mixed XI and have a successful junior section of up to 70 youngsters.

The clubs play its home matches and trains at Cooper School in Bicester.

Seniors training is from 19.45 to 21.15, Mens on Wednesdays and Ladies on Thursdays