Nursery’s gratitude after bathroom fire

MCBW - Paper fan - Brackley and Towcester Advertiser
MCBW - Paper fan - Brackley and Towcester Advertiser

A CHILDREN’S nursery owner is praising fire fighters, tradesmen and staff after her business was closed for just one day following a fire last week.,

Just before 4.30am on Friday, November 18, fire crews from Brackley, Towcester, and Buckingham were called to the Lakefield Nursery in Banbury Road.

It is thought an electrical fault started the fire which spread from the first floor bathroom. The first floor bore the brunt of the fire, but the second and third floor were left with smoke damage. The ground floor nursery suffered smoke and water damage and it was forced to close on Friday due to the lack of electricity.

Angela Kemp, who has owned the 25-year-old nursery for 18 years, said if it wasn’t for the prompt action of fire crews the damage could have been much worse. She also praise staff for coming in over the weekend to clean up and tradesman who restored amenities, enabling the nursery open as normal on Monday morning.

Mrs Kemp said: “We want to thank Brackley Fire Station, Gilberts the electricians and Jason Pancoft the plumber for putting out the fire and restoring power and water, to enable us to resume business as usual, with only one days interruption.

“Without their speedy response, support and hard work disruption to working parents of the nursery children and the school children we drop off and pick up would have had a knock on effect to local businesses.”

Mrs Kemp also wished a quick recovery for 84-year-old landlord Eric Dutton who lives at the property and suffered smoke inhalation. Although he is till in hospital Mr Dutton is expected to make a full recovery. Mrs Kemp said the fire had created some excitement among children and they have been able to use it to hammer home fire safety lessons and added: “It’s really exciting for the children, we do fire drills and now they know fires do happen it’s exciting rather than being a chore.”