Sneaky Easter treat could have killed pup Cora

Cora with owner Tim and this year's Easter chocolate
Cora with owner Tim and this year's Easter chocolate

As Easter approaches, vets are reminding pet owners to keep all chocolate well away from their pets.

Tim Davis, from Buckingham, knows the danger only too well, after his four-month-old Staffordshire bull terrier cross, Cora, ate Easter eggs – which could have killed her.

Tim had bought four chocolate eggs for his nieces and nephews, which he left in a plastic bag on the dining room table, well out of the reach of Cora, while he popped out.

On his return, Tim realised the shopping bag wasn’t where he had left it.In 30 minutes, Cora had managed to jump up, grab the handle of the bag, pull it to the floor, empty the contents, unwrap and eat two chocolate eggs.

Tim called Vets4Pets Buckingham, who advised him to come straight in. Within an hour, Cora had been given a drug to empty her stomach. Two hours after eating the eggs, Cora was back home none the worse for her ordeal.

Vet Maggie Doherty said: “Luckily, Cora’s owner knew the potential dangers of chocolate and we were able to administer a drug to induce vomiting. Cora was allowed home very quickly after her trip to see us, mainly thanks to the quick actions of Tim.”

Dr Huw Stacey, director of clinical services at Vets4Pets, said: “Chocolate is particularly toxic to dogs, as it contains caffeine and theobromine, two substances dogs are incredibly sensitive to.

“If ingested by dogs it affects the heart, central nervous system and kidneys.

“Unlike humans, dogs find it difficult to break down and excrete these substances. This means they can easily build-up in the dog’s system and lead to poisoning.”