The results of the judicial reviews into the legality of the Government’s plans for HS2 are expected to be handed down at the Royal Courts of Justice today, Friday.
A verdict is expected on five cases submitted in December, covering issues such as consultation on the plans, environmental impact and the impact on communities.
If built, the £33 billion project would link London and Birmingham, cutting through south Northants and north Bucks.
Campaigners against HS2 say that if the Government was to lose the judicial reviews and not appeal, the project might be set back by several years.
Penny Gaines, of Stop HS2, said: “We are very glad to hear the judge will be making an announcement on the judicial reviews. It’s clear there have been fundamental mistakes in the process so far. These include losing more than 1,000 consultation responses, including the Stop HS2 campaign manager’s personal response.”
Tim Mould QC, on behalf of the Government, said the scheme was currently still “only a policy”.