St George’s Barracks in Bicester welcomed a new regiment on Friday last week.
The Defence Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Munitions and Search Training Regiment (DEMS Training Regiment) was officially ‘stood up’ by General Sir Peter Wall, the Chief of the General Staff.
The regiment will use a state-of-the-art £100million training facility at St George’s Barracks.
Speaking at the event, General Sir Peter Wall, said: “Our explosive search and disposal teams do one of the most dangerous roles in the Armed Forces, often in the most hostile of environments.
“Their expertise and training is vital in supporting our troops to meet the challenges they face while on active service.
“This new £100million facility will for the first time bring their training under one roof and will secure the training into the future.”
Sir Peter conducted a tour of the facility, where he witnessed a cross-section of the different disciplines and techniques taught by the regiment. They included finding and disposing of improvised explosive devices, as well as underwater disposal.
He was also shown some of the weapons personnel will face in the line of duty.
Lieutenant Colonel Chris Henson, commanding officer of the DEMS Training Regiment, said: “This is an absolutely first-class training facility bringing together expertise from across the services and marks a major milestone in delivering explosive ordinance disposal and search capability to defence.”