Boyd wins Silverstone thriller after hapless Moyers spins out

Michael Moyers leads at the start of the Walter Hayes Trophy Grand Final. Photo by Jakob Ebrey
Michael Moyers leads at the start of the Walter Hayes Trophy Grand Final. Photo by Jakob Ebrey

Wayne Boyd won Sunday’s Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone in sensational fashion, heading home Rob Hall and Michai Stephens at the end of a thrilling 15-lap Grand Final.

The 14th-running of Silverstone’s end-of-season Formula Ford 1600 had been advertised as the most competitive in its history, with over 15 drivers arriving at the local track in with a chance of winning the category’s ultimate prize.

Throughout all the stages of the competition, the Formula Ford cars played out to packed grandstands and cheering crowds as the knockout event worked towards its climax on Sunday afternoon.

With heavy rain falling, and the light rapidly failing, 36 cars lined-up to start the final with Towcester’s Michael Moyers starting from pole position.

Having missed out on victory in 2012 and 2013, Moyers was in superb form on his way to the final, winning both his heat and semi-final as the local racer secured pole by way of winning the fastest semi-final.

As the start lights flashed off, Moyers leapt away to lead but his time at the head of the field was short-lived as, approaching Maggots Curve, Moyers’ Kevin Mills Racing Spectrum was tagged from behind, sending him spinning off the track and into a gravel trap. With his car stranded, Moyers’ dreams of winning this year’s Walter Hayes Trophy were at an end.

Half a lap later and the hopes of Scott Malvern, the 2013 winner, and three-time winner, Peter Dempsey, were also over. The duo collided at Luffield, eliminating both.

With three of the potential winners out of the race before the end of lap one, it was Joey Foster, also a three-time winner, who took over the number one position. But, a handful of laps later, he too was nudged into a spin and out of the lead.

Niall Murray and Chris Middlehurst both took turns at the head of the pack, until Rob Hall and an impressive Wayne Boyd made their way to the top of the pile. Wheel-to-wheel along the Wellington Straight on the final lap saw the two cars almost touch, but Boyd managed to out-fox Hall and make a pass to take the lead at Brooklands. It was a lead he held onto through the final two corners to win.

Afterwards, Boyd said: “What a race! My best ever. The Walter Hayes Trophy is an amazing event and I am so pleased to win for Medina Sport and Van Diemen.”

Talking of his own disappointment, Moyers said: “I am gutted. I really thought that this year would be my year.

“Everything went so well at the start of the weekend. I won my heat and semi-final and I was confident ahead of the Grand Final. I felt slight contact as I approached Becketts corner and I couldn’t control the car. At that point I knew my dream of victory was over.

“I would like to thank everyone who helped me reach this position. My loyal bunch of supporters, my father, Pete, and Kevin Mills Racing. KMR provided me with a great car and we almost did it! I will be back next year and I will not rest until I have won the Walter Hayes Trophy.”