Brackley hit four goals to sink rivals

Steve Diggin in action for Brackley
Steve Diggin in action for Brackley

FOOTBALL: Highflying Brackley Town outgunned promotion rivals Cambridge City 4-2 to go top of the table by five points.

After enjoying back-to-back wins over Cambridge, Southern League Premier Division leaders Saints will be hopeful of collecting another three points at Bashley this Saturday.

Brackley took the game to City from the start, Diggin and Glenn Walker tormenting the defence with penetrating runs down both flanks.

City keeper Zac Barrett made a fine one-handed save to keep out a Diggin snapshot from a Walker cross and the marauding Owen Story went close with two or three chances as Brackley peppered the visitors’ goal.

Against the run of play City took the lead on 30 minutes when danger man Dave Theobald rose to head home a well-flighted corner from the left.

Brackley bounced back and within seven minutes were on level terms when Diggin fired home from the penalty spot after Elliott Sandy was felled in the box.

A minute later Saints made it 2-1 when a Walker corner from the right eluded Barrett and was volleyed in by Tom Marshall lurking at the far post.

The onslaught continued and five minutes from half time Story fired in a fierce free kick from just outside the box, which Barrett did well to fingertip over the bar at full stretch for a corner.

After the break it wasn’t long before more Brackley pressure saw the hosts go 3-1 ahead. Walker cut into the box and fed Diggin who bagged his sixth goal in five games.

Walker then shaved the post from Storey’s corner and defender Jamie Clifton made it 4-1 with a 25-yard piledriver which flew into the back of the net. It was his first goal in 60 appearances for Town.

Joe Magunda, Barry Quinn and Will Green came on for Brackley in the last quarter of an hour to replace some tired legs and just before the final whistle City pulled a goal back through substitute Hammond, but it proved all too late.