Buckingham edge closer to Division One title

Wayne Platts
Wayne Platts
Share this article

Buckingham Town closed in on the Cherwell League Division One title with a four-wicket win over Cumnor on Saturday.

Town are now 46 points clear at the top of the table with just four games remaining in 2014.

The young Cumnor side won the toss and chose to bat first against Buckingham, and Cameron Evans-Grainger (18) and Matt Lake (10) both made starts but regular wickets fell at the top with Wayne Platts continuing the form he’s shown throughout the season as Cumnor’s top four were dismissed with the score on 42.

Buckingham’s fielding was sharp with James Gear taking an excellent diving catch, only for it to be bettered a few overs later by one from Ben Stafford.

The introduction of spin, particularly Jack Parish, saw Cumnor lose five wickets for 22 runs to slip to 86-9.

Mike Sinclair and Max Mannering showed some good resistance at the end as they survived 99 balls for the final wicket before Ben Laycock finished the innings off and dismissed the hosts for 105.

Platts (4-38 from 17 overs) and Parish (3-15 from 14 overs) were the pick of the bowlers.

Buckingham made an assured start in their reply, with openers Ashley Pearson and Callum Price laying the foundations with a partnership of 68.

The first moment of danger came when Price was bowled off a no ball before wickets began to tumble as the Cumnor spinners bowled well with James Fitzjohn removing Price for 45.

Pearson was then run out for 22 and he was followed back to the pavillion by Simon Myatt after being caught second ball.

Ben Stafford was promoted to three and scored 20 before he was also dismissed, caught and bowled by Andrew Russell, and two further wickets fell as Buckingham collapsed to 99-6.

However, Steve Brunning and Ben Laycock guided Town over the line to clinch victory and take them a step closer to the title. Town are away at local rivals Twyford this weekend.

Buckingham’s midweek side lost to Chase Farmers by six wickets.

Batting first, Town made a strong-looking 257-7 thanks mainly to guest player James Beesley, who scored a century before retiring. Useful runs also came from Matt Dipple (36), Chris Coates (32), Ernie McDade (24) and Alex Jenden (21no).

In response, Chase started scoring briskly from the start through Prasad (37) and Harwood Jnr (70). After Matt Dipple took 2-25, Chase were seen home to victory by Hussain (72) and P Critchley (38no).

Young Alex Jenden bowled well while 13-year old Fin Lee impressed with bat and ball and also took an excellent catch.