Silverstone-based Sahara Force India racer, Paul di Resta, says the 2013 season will be crucial to his hopes of being involved in ‘a few movements at the top’ for 2014.
The young Scot was earlier this year linked with a move to McLaren to replace Lewis Hamilton and to Ferrari as a possible replacement for Felipe Massa, before confirming he will stay with Sahara Force India in 2013.
However, di Resta admits he is already viewing next season as crucial due to the opportunities that could arise at some of the top teams in 2014.
He said: “Next year is a big one for me. I need to do my stuff because it will be performance based.
“I think there’ll be a few movements at the top, and hopefully I’ll be a part of that.
“I felt ready for it this year, but for whatever reason it didn’t happen, which was not my decision. I’ll just keep doing my job on track to hopefully keep my name in the frame.
“I’ve good relationships with all the teams, and with senior people, which I think you need to have.”
Di Resta experienced a mixed 2012 season that ended badly after his form dipped midway through the year, which saw him finish on 46 points and in 14th position in the World Championship while his Force India team racked up 109 points in the Constructors’ Championship.
For more on this story and other motorsport news, see Friday’s Advertiser or Review.