Ardley dumped out of FA Cup

Ardley United bowed out of the FA Cup after a 4-1 replay defeat to Hellenic League Premier Division side Binfield in the first qualifying round.

United had earned a thoroughly deserved 2-2 draw on Saturday, but Binfield’s class prevailed in the replay that took place on Monday evening.

In the opening tie, Ardley made a flying start as Troy Bryan’s near-post finish from a left-wing cross put them one up inside four minutes.

The Moles pressed forward immediately, and had the perfect chance to level when Adam Cornell was felled by Stuart Bridges to give the visitors a penalty – which Carl Davies confidently dispatched.

Steve Howkins forced Martin Herdman into a couple of decent saves as both sides had chances before Seb Bowerman cut in and fired into the bottom corner to give Binfield a slender half time lead.

The second half was shaded byArdley as they built pressure on the visiting goal, with Howkins causing problems from free-kicks.

Binfield had their chances, too, but with 20 minutes to go, Ardley drew level when Howkins finally took full advantage of one of the many free-kicks, as he smashed a shot into the top corner.

Both sides pushed for a winner, but the match finished level to set up a replay on Monday evening.

Now playing as the home side, Binfield were dominant from the kick-off and although Ardley gradually played their way into the match, the home side took a 20th minute lead through James Rusby’s 20-yard strike that flew past an unsighted Jack Harding.

That was the only goal of the first half, but Binfield made a strong start to the second and doubled their lead within minutes of the restart through Adam Cornell.

Ardley went on the attack but in their attempt to pull a goal back, they were caught out at the back as Cornell sealed Binfield’s passage into the next round.

Adam Garner did manage to briefly reduce the arrears, but Bowerman added a fourth to secure a convincing victory.

Ardley return to league action on Saturday as they visit Abingdon United.