Ardley hit back after FA Cup defeat

editorial image

ARDLEY United have crashed out of the FA Cup after an incident-packed 6-2 defeat to Newport Pagnell.

Kevin Brock’s side were looking for a win that would have taken them into the first qualifying round but were comfortably beaten in a match that had a bit of everything, including eight goals, a red card and three penalties.

The home side started the stronger and opened the scoring inside 15 minutes through Matt Broomes before Ardley wasted two good chances.

Newport made United pay with two goals inside a minute before the visitors pulled one back on the stroke of half time from the penalty spot with Steve Howkins converting.

But Newport made it four quickly after the break through Broomes before they added two more from Darren Dykes and a Richard Armstrong penalty.

United managed to pull another back late on when Howkins dispatched a penalty before Dave Barker was sent off after catching Howkins on the head.

Despite the disappointment of defeat, Ardley responded well in the league on bank holiday Monday when they defeated Kidlington 4-3.

Ardley dominated the opening exchanges with Howkins seeing his effort cleared off the line.

United remained on top and took a deserved lead in the 23rd minute through new signing Jason Costello, who stabbed home from close range.

But the celebrations only lasted two minutes as Zac Mcearchran fired an equaliser after a mazy run.

In a frantic and all-
action first half, the hosts quickly re-took the lead when the impressive Howkins rounded the keeper and tapped home following a poor defensive clearance.

Ardley doubled their lead on the stroke of half time with Howkins again involved as this time he laid the ball back into the path of Carl Standen, who made no mistake to blast home.

Looking in control, United began the second half in buoyant mood and it took them a mere two minutes to add a fourth.

Costello was the creator after he played in Howkins for his second to seemingly put Ardley out of reach.

But Kidlington had other ideas and they gave themselves a route back into the game when Jack Johnson netted.

The visitors then gave the home fans a nervy finish following Jordan Parker’s goal but Ardley held on for victory.

Ardley sit eighth in the Premier Division and have the chance to move up the table when they travel to bottom side Reading Town tomorrow.