Back-to-back wins lift Buckingham after tough season

editorial image

Buckingham Town could still end a disappointing season on a high note following back-to-back victories this week.

Last Friday, the Robins recorded just their eighth league win of a turbulent campaign when they overcame Bugbrooke St Michaels 4-3.

James Keller headed home his first goal for the club to give Buckingham the lead before Tony Ellis and Lewis Hallford put the visitors 3-1 ahead at half-time.

Bugbrooke came flying out of the blocks in the second half and scored twice in 10 minutes to level proceedings and it seemed inevitable that the home side would find a winner, but instead it was Buckingham who bagged all three points through Ellis’ second goal of the game.

Robins manager Chris Robson said afterwards: “To be honest I am scratching my head wondering how we have won tonight. Apart from a few spells, we were poor today.

“We will take that though, of course. It’s about time we got some luck, and tonight we rode it but came away with a much-needed win.

“We do deserve some credit as we have come away from home and scored four goals against a good Bugbrooke side. I felt our attackers Lewis, Tony and Ashley (Wadhams) played very well and were always a threat.

“With players like them you will always score goals. Young Josh (Bonaiti) in goal also had another good game and produced some great saves to keep the score down as on another day they could have had 10.

“Also the grit and determination in the side now is at the level where I want it to be, and they fought so hard to get that win. Five or six weeks ago we would have capitulated at 3-3 and ended up losing heavily, so it was pleasing to see us keep fighting and grab the winner.

“We have a great bunch of lads now at this club, and they want to fight for each other. The spirit is good and we have enjoyed the past month.”

On Tuesday, Hallford and Ellis were again on target to give Buckingham a slender 2-1 advantage over Olney Town in the first leg of the Buckingham Senior Charity Cup semi-final.

Hallford fired the visitors ahead on the hour and Ellis doubled the advantage 12 minutes from time before Christian Smail struck late to leave the tie intriguingly-poised ahead of the second leg at Manor Fields next Tuesday.

Buckingham play their final league match of the season this weekend when they host Thrapston Town.