Brackley denied rare home win after late drama

Steve Diggin seemed to clinch victory with Brackley's second goal. Picture: Steven Prouse
Steve Diggin seemed to clinch victory with Brackley's second goal. Picture: Steven Prouse

Brackley Town endured yet more late heartache as Colwyn Bay snatched a 2-2 draw in a dramatic Conference North encounter at St James Park on Saturday.

Late drama saw this game swing one way and then the other as Saints’ remaining hopes of a play-off place were all but extinguished after dropping another two points thanks to a 95th minute Colwyn Bay strike.

Jamie Crowther struck midway through the first half to give Bay an unexpected lead, his fine hooked shot finding the top corner after poor defending failed to cut out Rob Hopley’s cross.

The goal changed the course of the half as Saints struggled to regain momentum. The closest either side came to adding to the score was Gareth Evans’ snapshot saved by Billy Turley and Stefan Moore’s effort that was just over on the stroke of half-time.

Brackley were on top throughout the second period, Remy Clerima’s header crashing onto the bar from a corner, almost bringing the equaliser. On 76 minutes, substitute Ryan Rowe headed his side level from Owen Story’s cross after patient build-up while only last ditch ‘keeping from Turley kept the Seagulls at bay.

Pressure by the home side finally brought an 89th minute lead courtesy of Steve Diggin’s scrambled finish and it seemed a home win was finally within reach. But with five minutes of added time played, the visitors snatched a last gasp equaliser from Jamie Ellison’s header to deny Brackley a first home win in six games.

Brackley: Turley, Clerima, Reid, Odhiambo (Rowe 70), Sharpe (Nisevic 54), R.Austin, M.Austin (Story 54), Solkhon, Moore, Diggin, Walker.

Colwyn: Sanna, D.Taylor, Stephens, Pilliner, Smyth, Crowther, Evans (Ellison 67), S.Williams, Hopley, M.Williams (Tolley 79), Darkwah (Bailey-Jones 87).

Referee: Andy Hendley

Attendance: 235