Frustrations grow as Saints are dumped out of FA Trophy

Jon Brady
Jon Brady

A defensive lapse from a free-kick on 69 minutes saw two Trinity strikers onside and unmarked and veteran Darryn Stamp made no mistake, directing his header with power to Dean Snedker’s left for what turned out to be the game’s winning goal as Saints exited the FA Trophy.

With one win in nine, Saints fell to a fourth 2-1 defeat in the last five, all from 1-1, much to the frustration of Brady.

He said: “They had the better of the first half but we got back level and looked like we would go on to win it. Inexplicably we gifted them a goal and come away empty handed.

“It is another very frustrating day. We worked hard and put in some good performances with Will Green and Ebby (Nelson-Addy) the pick for me today.”

Trinity took an early lead as left-back Tom Davie won the aerial battle and Danny Forrest was quickest to react to score on his debut having arrived from Guiseley.

Ebby Nelson-Addy was a threat on the right and his shot was well-saved before the hosts almost doubled the lead on the stroke of half-time when Grant Roberts’ header was cleared off the line.

Will Green brought the scores level on 53 minutes, bringing the ball under his spell close to goal despite the attentions of a posse of defenders, before finding the net for his third goal in three games.

Saints had turned the tide and a flowing move brought an overlapping Dwayne Samuels into the action as his shot was well saved by Trinity ‘keeper Jan Budtz.

Stamp then saw his effort well-saved by Snedker in a warning to Saints before Stamp gleefully took his chance to notch the winner. Connor Waldon came off the bench and twice threatened in the dying minutes, his snapshot just over after good anticipation by Samuels created the opening, before Chris Carruthers’ cross was met by Waldon but his header found only the keeper.

With the long trip to Boston to come before a free Saturday and a home game against AFC Fylde, Jon Brady and his side are in desperate need of a turnaround in fortunes in their quest to avoid relegation in the Conference North.

Brackley Town: Snedker, Samuels, Carruthers, Eddie Odhiambo (Eric Odhiambo 80), Sharpe, Austin, Nelson-Addy, Whittall, Rowe (Waldon 73), Green, Built (Kaziboni 73).

Gainsborough: Budtz, Roma, Davie, Binns, Quinn, Picton, Roberts, Toner, Stamp, Forrest, Davis (Lacey 68).

Referee: Paul Graham

Attendance: 264