Halse U13s see off high ranked Tigers in cup

YOUTH FOOTBALL: Halse United U13’s pulled off a shock 2-0 win over Division One side MK City Tigers in the third round of the league cup.

The odds were stacked against Division Two outfit Halse as firstly they were up against a very good team from a higher division and secondly they had no substitutes. One thing Halse did have up their sleeve was an undefeated record at home.

MK City put Halse under pressure straight from the kick-off and had much more possession than the home side.

But the defence of Halse was strong, Jack Purnell, the anchor of the back four, made some fantastic tackles winning the ball every time from the MK City strikers.

Halse continued to battle away and then broke through the tackles of the City players to win a corner.

The corner was delivered straight into the box and Robert Gibson, who plays in midfield defence, used his height and got his head onto the ball to nod home for his first goal of the season to give Halse the lead.

This really boosted the team’s confidence and they wanted much more.

MK City continued putting the pressure on the defence and midfield of Halse and came close to scoring but keeper Tom Silman stood strong and made some great saves. At half time Halse were 1-0 up.

In the second half MK City were frustrated at being unable to finish and put the ball in the net.

When they did eventually score but it was flagged for offside.

Again MK had most of the possession and continued to keep the ball, but Halse worked hard to keep breaking down City, who were frantic to score.

Halse broke through again and using his speed striker Adam Hilton fired a fine shot over the City keeper to put them 2-0 up. With only a few minutes left it was too much for City to recover in time.

The visitors were unable to reply and Halse moved through to the quarter-finals of the cup.

Halse manager Sean Purnell said afterwards: “I’m very proud of the boys who remained calm and waited for their chance and made it count when they got it”.