Goal-hungry Potton put four past Buckingham

Share this article

Buckingham Athletic slumped to a 4-1 defeat as they came up against an on-song Potton United side.

For the first 30 minutes of the match both teams were struggling to put any passes together and had 11 attempts at goal between them without managing to trouble either keeper.

The match looked to have the making of a 0-0 draw, however Potton found their scoring boots and ran out deserved winners.

In the opening minute Buckingham’s Aaron Murell turned the defence and shot just over the bar.

Potton had six attempts, with the pick of these coming from headers from Nick Finney and Steve Muggridge, but both were off target.

Adam Pryke also headed over from a corner, while Muggridge made a good run but sliced his shot wide at the other end.

Buckingham substitute Mark Rodger shot over and the best attempt from Potton came from Chris Reeves, whose 25-yard effort went just over the bar.

The breakthrough eventually came in the 41st minute when Jamie Fitzgibbon was played in down the left and his attempted centre eventually found Josh Everitt-Watson who fired the ball home.

Rodger then evaded a tackle and, from his pass, Murrell saw his shot saved by Craig Lewis.

On the stroke of half-time a delightful through-ball from Reeves found Fitzgibbon who took it on his chest and calmly slotted past the keeper for 2-0

Potton were slow to start the second half and from a free-kick Matthew Fessey saw his header go just the wrong side of the post.

In the 50th minute a low cross from Muggridge found Everitt-Watson to beat the keeper to make it 3-0.

Dominic Lawless forced a good save from Lewis and eventually Muggridge cleared off the line.

In the 70th minute the ball was worked through to Nick Finney who was fouled before dispatching the resulting penalty.

Potton took their foot off the pedal having made three substitutions and a kick was allowed to bounce in the area giving Lawless the opportunity to head past Lewis in the 82nd minute.

Callum Forster forced the Buckingham keeper to push his shot for a corner.and Lawless shot wide after rounding the keeper as the game finished 4-1.