Robins seal switch to Winslow Centre base

Robins boss Dan Kingston
Robins boss Dan Kingston

BUCKINGHAM Town have put back their opening UCL Divison One fixture to Saturday Septenber 3 following their move to a temporary new ground at the Winslow Centre, writes Sports Editor Mark Pendred.

The Robins were to have kicked off their season this Saturday at home to Bourne Town, but will now travel to Potton United for the first game, with the second fixture taking place in Winslow on Saturday September 10 against Burton Park Wanderers.

In the meantime work will be carried out to get the new pitch upto scratch in time for the kick-off.

The Robins had to vacate their longstanding home at Ford Meadow because the lease wasn’t renewed by the owners.

A number of clubs offered to help Buckingham in their hour of need including Brackley Town FC, North Marston FC, Twyford FC, Moretonville JFC and Buckingham Rugby Club, but in some cases the pitches were too small and the facilities not upto standard to meet league approval.

Robins’ boss Dan Kingston said: “I’d like to thank those clubs who offered help, and also the Winslow Centre and the district council for their support. It’s not ideal playing outside Buckingham, but we’re happy with what we’ve got. I’m hoping we will have a good turnout of our fans for the first home match in Winslow against Burton.”

Kingston is hopeful of a good season ahead for the Robins despite the upheaval.

Buckingham have played a couple of pre-season games culminating in a prestige friendly against the MK Dons last week. They aim to play some friendlies against MK College while they wait to start their campaign.

The club has lost a number of key players to other clubs such as Ash Farmer to Kempston, Jeff Baffo to Olney Town and more recently Jared Cunniff, the latter also joining Olney,

But Kingston hopes new players recruited such as Cory Lee, formerly with Swansea City, ex-Stewkley player Jack Howell, Jacob Kasprzyk and James Wardell will help fill the void. Striker Joel McCormick will be available in December after playing in America.

>>Buckingham Town Reserves went down 3-0 to Grendon Rangers on Tuesday in their opening North Bucks League fixture.

The deadlock was broken half way through the first period when Jonny Fulcher rose at the far post to nod in a corner to put the home side 1-0 up.

Town responded well with the dangerous Chris Robson looking to get on the ball and create opportunities for his team-mates, but with the Grendon defence standing strong and with confident handling by keeper Darren Booker, the visitors were restricted to efforts from distance. The lead was extended before half time when Rangers skipper Shaun Alderman picked out Jamie Baker with a fine through ball, who slotted home to give Grendon a 2-0 lead going into the break.

Town remained dangerous in the second half, but the victory was sealed when a well-worked team goal was finished with aplomb by young substitute Max Brooks, following good lead up play by a number of players, notably Nathan Perna who has re-signed for Grendon from Winslow. Grendon manager Scott Reynolds said: “This was a very positive start against strong opposition, who like us will have ambitions of being up there at the end of the season. We have improved our squad dramatically.”