Saints back on top

editorial image
Share this article

BRACKLEY Town went back on top of the Blue Square North with a comprehensive 2-0 away win at Vauxhall Motors on Saturday.

It was a more than satisfying end to a week that steadied the ship following a draw with much fancied FC Halifax and a superb away win at high-flying Worcester City.

The results mean Jon Brady’s side lead the table once again, albeit having played two games more than second-placed Chester FC, who trail by two points.

In Brackley’s first ever visit to Ellesmere Port, a settled starting line-up saw just one change with James Clifton replacing the suspended Michael Corcoran at right-back.

Brackley took the initiative from the start and an early lead through Marvin Robinson’s headed goal on 12 minutes. The striker took his chance well, with eyes only for the ball, as goalkeeper and central defenders challenged for Owen Story’s cross.

Fine work on the left by Steve Diggin brought a flashing cross that Story almost connected with and left-back Eddie Nisevic’s raking shot from 30 yards was deflected for a corner as half-time approached with Saints on top.

Diggin came close to doubling the lead when he latched on to Story’s pull-back but saw his shot saved well by keeper Zac Jones. At the other end, Tom Rutter fired in a fierce effort from 25 yards that Billy Turley had to tip over.

On 72 minutes full-back, Lee Dames got his pass back to Jones all wrong and Diggin nipped in to round the keeper and finish carefully to seal the win.

Saints continued to create chances and Motors came close to reducing the deficit when the lively Craig Mahon’s swerving effort flew just wide of Turley’s right-hand post but the points were always safe in another convincing win on the road to take Town back to top-spot.

Brackley are in cup action this weekend with an away trip to Thurrock in the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy.

Brackley Town: Turley, Clifton, McDonald, Odhiambo, Austin, Nisevic, Story (Winters 76), Solkhon, Robinson (Mulligan 82), Diggin (Sandy 88), G.Walker.

Subs not used: L.Walker, Green.

Vauxhall Motors: Jones, Roberts-Nurse, Dames, Hannigan, Nicholas, Thompson (Moss 60), Mahon, Clair, Rutter, Burns, Booth (Winslade 72).

Subs not used: Egerton, Kocsis, Ellison.

Referee: Mr S Oldham

Assistants: Mr D Underwood and Mr D Fisher

Attendance: 288