Saints ease past struggling Hinckley

editorial image

BRACKLEY Town picked up their third win in a row when they recorded a comfortable 3-1 win at bottom-placed Hinckley United on Tuesday evening.

Following a two-and-a-half week break due to the wintry weather, Brackley blew away the cobwebs in a solid display on a wild and wet Leicestershire night.

Steve Diggin set Saints on their way with a neat finish in the first half before Tom Winters doubled the lead direct from a corner and Diggin made sure of the points late on despite a late consolation for the home side.

The result keeps Brackley safely in third, nine points behind second-placed Guiseley but 10 ahead of Gainsborough.

Saints manager Jon Brady named a strong line-up with Diggin, Jefferson Louis and Tom Winters all starting and it was the in-form Diggin who opened the scoring with a fine goal on 24 minutes.

The striker, who now has three goals in his last two games and 11 for the season, set Brackley on their way when he finished clinically after clever work in the box as he twisted and turned to create space for the shot.

The visitors failed to add to their tally in the first half as Hinckley, who have a solitary one point this season, defended well to remain one down at the break.

However, Brackley all but sealed the points on the hour-mark with a wind-assisted goal as Winters’ corner went straight in.

Diggin then added a third 10 minutes later when Hinckley goalkeeper Robert Peet lost the ball, allowing Diggin to finish well and secure all three points.

While the home side rarely threatened, a penalty converted by Harvey Headley provided a late rally and the youthful Knitters side never lost heart despite losing 3-1.

Brackley Town: Turley, Clifton, McDonald, Odhiambo, Austin, Nisevic (Sharpe 73), Walker (Corcoran 76), Solkhon, Diggin, Louis (Mulligan 55), Winters.

Subs not used: Sandy, Johnson.

Hincklet United: Peet, Towers, Hartland (Conway 75), Lister, Raglan, Headley, Brown (Lane 52), Hicks, O’Conner, Canavan, Cole.

Sub not used: Heggs.

Referee: Daniel Meeson

Assistants: Leslie Sinclair and Neil Pratt

Attendance: 152