Saints held to draw by Colwyn

Ryan Rowe
Ryan Rowe
Share this article

Brackley Town bounced back from last weekend’s horror show at Harrogate with a deserved 1-1 draw at home to Colwyn Bay.

In a well contested and even game, both sides had chances to take all three points but Saints had to be content with a draw that moves them up two places to 16th in the Conference North.

Afterwards, Brackley assistant manager Darren Collins stated his belief that better results are just around the corner, saying: “We got into good positions today so I am a bit disappointed we didn’t take them.

“But after last week we dug in today and battled hard. We had a positive week in training and this afternoon improved on some of the things from last week.

“The penalty was a great finish by Ryan (Rowe) and we had good chances to have won it.

“This was a good response to last week’s defeat. It will turn around for us. Performances and the goals will come.”

Captain Marc Williams put Bay ahead after nine minutes as he was given too much space in the penalty area to turn and fire past Billy Turley.

Within two minutes Brackley were level, however, as Ryan Rowe’s header was handled by Anthony Stevens and Rowe himself coolly converted the spot-kick.

Colwyn goalkeeper Josh Ollerenshaw then saved with his legs to keep Shaun Jeffers’ header out and both sides survived goalmouth scrambles before half-time.

Either side could have clinched the win in the second period but neither deserved to lose with Ollerenshaw saving in spectacular fashion from Rowe’s shot, while Sam Whittall had two good chances, first firing over after excellent control and then missing a far post header on 85 minutes.

Ryan Rowe spurned an 89th minute chance and Turley was again in late action to save from substitute Vinnie Mukendi as the game finished level.

Next up for Saints is a trip to Stockport County this Saturday.

Brackley: Turley, Samuels, Carruthers, Eddie Odhiambo, McDonald, Austin, Nelson-Addy, Whittall, Rowe, Jeffers, Eric Odhiambo.

Subs unused: Built, Curtis, Kaziboni, Green, Pearson.

Colwyn Bay: Ollerenshaw, Bembo-Leta (Mukendi 62), Moss, Stevens, Royle, Noone, Mendes (Buckley 77), Anoruo, Hopley, Williams, Baynes.

Subs unused: Sharpe, Haywood, Olapade.

Referee: Rob Ellis-Massey

Attendance: 220