Saints held to draw by Telford

Ben Mills scoring against Boston at the weekend
Ben Mills scoring against Boston at the weekend

Glenn Walker’s goal midway through the second half earned Brackley Town a 1-1 draw with AFC Telford at St James Park on Tuesday evening.

The visitors took a 1-0 lead into half time having dominated the opening period, but a change of shape saw Brackley take control after the break and deservedly earn a point.

The result lifts Brackley up to second, four points behind leaders Hednesford Town.

Telford made an assured start on Tuesday evening, enjoying most of the early possession to keep Saints back inside their own half with the hosts struggling to get going.

And their good start was rewarded when, on 18 minutes, a sustained period of pressure culminated in the opening goal for Andy Owens, who headed home Matt McGinn’s inviting cross.

Owens caused further danger in the Saints penalty box as the visitors continued to dominate against a lethargic Saints side who appeared disjointed and sloppy.

Ben Mills and Danny Newton became increasingly isolated up front, while the visitors remained well on top and came within inches of doubling their lead when Michael Grogan’s header looped over Turley and hit the underside of the bar before bouncing away.

Moments later Telford did have the ball in the net when a cross into the box found its way in, only for the referee to blow for a foul.

Having maintained their slender lead until the break, Telford started the second half like the first and posed problems for Brackley, with Turley having to push away Tony Gray’s effort before Telford had a strong shout for a penalty waved away.

The introduction of Elliot Sandy sparked a change of formation and that seemed to alter the complexion of the game as Brackley gradually began to wrestle control.

Despite that, Ryan Young had barely been tested in the visiting goal in the opening hour - but out of the blue, Saints drew level when Walker won the ball, cut inside and fired a shot towards goal that took a wicked deflection and evaded Young.

That sparked Saints into life and they came close to taking the lead moments later as Steve Towers played through Newton, whose stinging shot was tipped over by Young.

The game had suddenly exploded into life and, back up the other end, Grogan’s long-range shot took a deflection, forcing Turley into a brilliant reaction save, before Phenix’s goal-bound shot was well blocked.

Both sides went for the winner but good approach play was met with a poor final ball - Brackley came closest to winning it when Steve Diggin put through Gary Mulligan, but the striker shot straight at Young in the last notable action of the match.

Brackley: Turley, Roberts, Austin (c), Sharpe (Sandy 55), McDonald, Reid, Solkhon, Towers, Walker, Mills (Diggin 75), Newton (Mulligan 75).

Subs not used: Nisevic, Story

Telford: Young, Baynes, McGinn, Byrne, Grand (c), Grogan, Cooke (Phenix 59), Benjamin, Owens (Farrell 29), Gray, Clancy.

Subs not used: Booth, Barnett, Pryce

Referee: Andy Hendley

Attendance: 216