Westbury fightback stuns Twyford in 10-goal thriller

editorial image

A SUPERB fightback saw Westbury come from 3-0 down to beat Twyford United 6-5 on penalties in the North Bucks & District Football League Division Two Trophy first round.

Goals from Rob Davis and Mike Mcauley saw Twyford race into a 2-0 lead with only James Lansdell going close for Westbury in the first half.

The home side improved after the break but it was United who extended their lead through Oliver Fordham as he finished off a fine counter-attack.

Despite this, Westbury persisted and piled on the pressure before eventually earning their reward when Chris Gray rose highest to head home.

That goal encouraged Westbury further and they pulled another back as Dave Gray volleyed in Lansdell’s cross before Jack O’Connell then completed a fine comeback after he was picked out by an exquisite through ball from his brother, Neil.

A shell-shocked Twyford responded well and Ash Brown’s penalty restored their lead.

Once again though, Westbury fought back valiantly and with five minutes to go substitute Jordi Henson delivered a superb through ball to pick out O’Connell and he coolly finished to snatch a dramatic late equaliser to take an enthralling game into extra-time.

Following a tame first half, the second period was a far livelier affair and Westbury appeared to have won it when 16-year-old Henson skipped past two Twyford players and unleashed a thunderous effort into the top corner but Nathan Davis blasted home in the dying seconds to take the game to penalties.

In a high-quality penalty shoot-out that went to sudden death, the final United penalty taker smashed wide to hand Westbury a memorable victory as they progress to the next round.

Elsewhere in the cup, Comet MK beat MK Wanderers A 5-3 and Wing Village won 9-8 on penalties against Scot.

Meanwhile, Great Horwood’s indifferent run of form in the Premier Division continued as they were beaten 1-0 at home to Stewkley while Brackley Sports thumped MK Titans 10-2 – Andy Prescott scoring a hat-trick – and Grendon Rangers eased to a 5-1 win against Thornborough.

Full results follows:

Premier Division Trophy first round: City Colts 5-0 Potterspury; Great Linford 2-2 Yardley Gobion (Yardley won 4-3 on penalties); Southcott Village 4-2 Silverstone.

Intermediate Division Trophy first round: Woburn Sands Wanderers 5-2 Buckingham Town Reserves; Wolverton Town Reserves 1-5 Bow Brickhill.

Intermediate Division: AFC Santander 2-2 City Colts Reserves; Grendon Rangers Reserves 3-2 Deanshanger Athletic; Potterspury Reserves 1-6 Brackley Sports Reserves; Wicken Sports 5-3 Syresham.

Division One Trophy first round: Olney 5-2 Cage Athletic; Woughton 1-3 Padbury Village.

Division One: Marsh Gibbon 1-1 Charlton & District; University of Buckingham 4-3 Great Linford Reserves.

Division Two: Hanslope Reserves 2-3 Great Horwood Reserves; Padbury Village Reserves 3-4 Marsh Gibbon Reserves; Silverstone Reserves 1-4 Stantonbury Social Elite; St Georges 2-4 Steeple Claydon.