Winslow beat rivals in cup before bagging first league win

Liam Gallagher
Liam Gallagher

Winslow United got their season back on track this week with back-to-back league and cup victories.

On Saturday, United travelled to local rivals Mursley United in the Berks & Bucks Intermediate Cup and came away 3-0 winners before on Wednesday, Scott Reynolds’ side claimed their first SSML Division One win of the season with a deserved 1-0 victory against Arlesey Town Reserves.

In a match that was dominated by heavy rain and swirling winds, both sides struggled to find any fluency but, midway through the first half, a cross from Liam Gallagher was met by a deft Martin Dyer touch that steered the ball inside the far post.

United had further chances to increase their lead, with Gallagher hitting the crossbar, but Dyer’s goal was enough for Winslow to clinch their first three points of the season and take them off the bottom ahead of this weekend’s trip to Baldock Town.

Reynolds said afterwards: “Again I am really pleased with the lads following tonight’s win. The challenge was to prove to themselves that we could not only beat lower league opposition in the cup, but to prove we can win games against teams in our league too.

“Midweek away games are the bread and butter in this league and picking up points is crucial.

“It was a great night, we battled for each other and played some great football at times.

“Roll on Saturday and hopefully three wins in a week!”

On Saturday, Winslow eased through to the third round of the Berks & Bucks Cup with a fairly comfortable win at neighbours Mursley.

Having made five changes from their last game, United took the game to their hosts from kick-off and were rewarded as early as the 11th minute when Jason Costello weaved around two challenges and fired past Luke Purnell.

Mursley rallied, however, and created chances of their own with visiting goalkeeper Tom Weymes forced into a good save from a Catagnetti effort before he turned away a diving header from Kevin Goodluck at point-blank range.

Winslow also had opportunities to go further in front but they had to wait until the second half to extend their lead when a corner was flicked on by Nick Farrow and Mark Wiltshire slammed home.

Just minutes later, the visitors sealed their place in the next round through Dale Butler’s third.

Winslow will face FC Beaconsfield away on November 15 in the third round.

Reynolds said afterwards: “The players put all the hard work in training into the game and proved they could play as a unit for 90 minutes. Massive credit to all, if I had to single out an individual it would be Jason Costello, he led the front line and worked his socks off all afternoon.”

Mursley United Reserves, meanwhile, made the short trip to Wolverton at the weekend and came away with a 1-0 defeat in SSML Reserve Division Two.