Winslow brought back down to earth

Grant Karwacinski
Grant Karwacinski

Winslow United came crashing back down to earth this week when they could only muster one point from their two SSML Division One matches.

On Saturday, United were held to a 1-1 draw in a bad-tempered affair with 10-man Langford.

Looking to kick-on from victories over high-flying Bedford and Harpenden the previous week, Winslow were frustrated by a scrappy and disjointed first half, with Matt Kenneford putting the visitors ahead before Grant Karwacinski’s volley levelled proceedings at half-time.

Langford’s Borikole Koroma was then sent off early in the second half for an off-the-ball incident, but Winslow were unable to capitalise on their advantage with Mark Wiltshire heading against the crossbar in stoppage time in the closest either side came to claiming all three points.

United boss Scott Reynolds said afterwards: “The opposition did all they could to make it as much of a scrappy, slow-paced, non-event as possible, and we played into their hands and were lucky to hold on to the point.

“Our players looked very tired. Coming off the back of two very tough games, I named the same 11 twice and only made one change in the three games, so you can see why there may have been some fatigue issues.

“That said, we need to get used to playing regularly and finding different ways to recover and rest between games as we have a Saturday and midweek fixture every week now until May.

“We started the game brightly but allowed the opposition and referee to frustrate us too easily which killed the tempo and rhythm.

“Second half was equally as sloppy and poor to watch. They had a player sent off following a kick off the ball and we had our chances – a one-on-one missed and we hit the crossbar twice - but Owusu Boateng made an unbelievable save in the last minute to ensure we held on to the point.”

United then welcomed Baldock Town to Elmfields Gate on Tuesday for their second home game in four days.

The visitors dominated large periods of the game with Tom Oram putting Baldock into a 1-0 lead at half-time before a second half brace from Luke Hennessey sealed the points, although Maurice Doherty-Labode did net a late consolation.

Reynolds added: “It was similar to Saturday for us. We just didn’t get started, but it’s done now and we must move on. We face a very tough test against Broxbourne at home on Saturday.

“We will need to work harder off the ball and make far better decisions with the ball to get anything against one of the more in-form sides in the division.”