Winslow suffer terrible start to new season

Drew Mitten scored a brilliant free-kick against Edgware
Drew Mitten scored a brilliant free-kick against Edgware

Winslow United endured a poor start to the season this week, conceding 15 goals in their two defeats in South Midlands League Division One.

On Saturday, United’s campaign began in the worst possible fashion when they were hammered 12-3 by title favourites Edgware Town.

The hosts raced into a 6-0 lead inside the first half hour before Drew Mitten opened Winslow’s account for the season when he rounded the goalkeeper and slotted home.

There was no let-up from Edgware, however, as the goals continued to fly in, although United managed to offer more of a contest in the second half with Mitten adding his second with a brilliant free-kick before Jason Costello completed the scoring with a late header.

“It’s safe to say it was a terrible start,” said manager Scott Reynolds afterwards. “Edgware were decent, clinical, organised and relentless, but we made it particularly easy by not sticking to any sort of plan.

“We are in the market for a goalkeeper, two centre backs and probably one or two more to add strength in depth.

“I personally hoped this would be the season to push on into top half of the league, but it’s fair to see both pre-season results and yesterday do not reflect that and it’s already looking and feeling rough.”

Things didn’t get much better on Tuesday when Winslow surrendered a two goal lead at Risborough Rangers, losing 3-2 to a last-minute winner.

Costello’s strike on the stroke of half-time put the visitors ahead at the break and they doubled their lead seven minutes into the second half through Joel McCormick.

However, straight from kick-off Risborough reduced the arrears when Nick Gurney beat Owusu Boateng in the away goal and it wasn’t long until they equalised through Laurence Clark’s spot-kick.

Winslow went back up the other end looked to regain the lead as substitute Gabriel Fayiah flashed a shot just wide, but instead it was the home side who snatched a late winner when Clark finished well deep into injury-time.

Reynolds said afterwards: “This was much better from us. The players were well up for it and all wanted to prove Saturday was a freak performance and a freak result.

“A solid first half took us in 1-0 up at the break and deservedly so. The opposition made a couple of changes in personnel and a complete change in tactics second half and threw everything at us. We got a second maybe against the run of play, but had a strong 2-0 lead.

“Sadly, we allowed them in immediately and our mentality and body language changed as soon as they scored.

“This allowed the home side to get their tails up and come at us. Goal two was a soft penalty in my opinion and the winner came in fifth minute of stoppage time. God only knows where referee found the time from as only three subs made between the sides during the second half and there were no lengthy injuries.

“The search for the season’s first win goes on. Our players have to take the many positives from the first 60 minutes and move on.”