Bicester stun Drifters with late onslaught

Scrum half Mike Harris dives over for Bicester's second try. Picture by Lisa Horwood
Scrum half Mike Harris dives over for Bicester's second try. Picture by Lisa Horwood

Bicester scored three tries in the final 25 minutes to come from 18-7 down and earn a superb bonus-point victory over Drifters in the Southern Counties North.

Once again Bicester were below par in the first half, conceding two tries and a penalty, to turn around 15-7 behind, but the visitors tired as the second half unfolded and Bicester, to the delight of their spectators, were full of running, right through to the final whistle.

After four minutes, following strong running by Alex Coombes from a line-out, fly-half Matt Brown slotted over a 15 metre penalty for the visitors.

Fifteen minutes later, Bicester took the lead when Drifters were shunted back off their own scrum and from the ensuing Bicester scrum, the ball was recycled through the hands of winger Dave Aslett and forwards Steve Limbrick and Tim Farrow across to the right where lock Mat Dye put Dan Spencer over in the corner.

Tom Miles converted, but the visitors regained the advantage at half-time thanks to two quick tries from Robert Wills and George Kempster.

Brown increased the lead further with a penalty early in the second half, but then came the Bicester charge as Mike Harris darted across for the home side’s second try.

Miles’ conversion reduced the deficit to four points and moments later, Bicester were ahead when they snaffled the ball from a line-out and Harris linked with prop Dave Behan to release Dave Aslett on a mesmeric 35-metre zigzag run down the right, which resulted in Miles stretching across in the corner.

His conversion attempt was wide of the posts but Bicester now had the lead and they put the icing on the cake 12 minutes later through captain Matt Dye’s unconverted try.

Bicester are sixth in the Southern Counties North and travel to league leaders High Wycombe this weekend.