Buckingham claim first Bucks Cup title

Simon Myatt
Simon Myatt

Buckingham Town claimed their first Bucks Cup title by beating Bledlow Village in their rearranged final at Beaconsfield on Saturday.

Bledlow won the toss and chose to bat, and despite the loss of Tom Moore in the third over to a sharp caught and bowled from Jason Ell, they made a promising start.

Skipper Bolton and Downes put on 114 for the second-wicket, aided by several dropped catches from Buckingham, before James Gear finally broke the partnership when he had Downes (45) stumped.

Bolton continued to flourish, however, as he made 86 and added 46 in just six overs before the final eight wickets fell for just 44 runs as Buckingham fought back well to restrict Bledlow to 219 all out. Vish Valambhia finished with three wickets.

The run chase began badly when both openers were dismissed cheaply to leave Buckingham 17-2 in the sixth over.

Leigh Tomlinson (37) and Jonny Cater looked to rebuild the innings and put on 43 for the third wicket, only for both to depart inside four overs as Buckingham fell to 89-4.

With the clouds building, Simon Myatt (52no) and Jack Parish (21no) kept Buckingham up with Bledlow’s average run-rate, the rain rules for the competition, and at drinks the score was 137-4, which left Buckingham one run behind.

After the break, the pair added 23 in three overs, including Myatt bringing up his 50 form 38 balls, before the rain arrived.

The captains waited for 30 minutes before, with no sign of the weather clearing, the game was called off with Buckingham claiming victory by 18 runs based on average run-rate.

There was disappointment for Buckingham in the National Cup, however, when they crashed to a 31-defeat to Cambridgeshire side Ramsey in the first round.

Fielding first, Jack Parish was the pick of the Buckingham bowlers as he took 4-19 from his nine overs to help restrict Ramsey to 181 all out.

In reply, Buckingham struggled against the opening bowling attack of Michael Cafferkey and Edwards as they were reduced to 33-3 after the opening 10 overs.

Leigh Tomlinson tried to lead a fightback with an excellent 62 but the wickets continued to tumble and eventually Buckingham finished on 150-9, 31 runs short of victory.

Buckingham play their final pre-season friendly at home to Amersham Town this Saturday, with the IIs travelling to Amersham IIs.

Then, on Monday, the first team visit Henley Town for the next round of the HCPL 20/20 competition.