Buckingham crash out of Bucks Cup despite late rally

Action from Buckingham v Marlow. Pictures by Jake McNulty
Action from Buckingham v Marlow. Pictures by Jake McNulty

Buckingham crashed out of the Bucks Cup when they conceded seven tries in a highs-scoring defeat against a strong Marlow side.

Buckingham took the field looking for a repeat of last year’s comprehensive Cup final win but Marlow denied them with some exciting rugby in a match that was played at a frantic pace with the momentum constantly swinging from one team to the other.

Buckingham’s ill-discipline was their downfall and after Marlow missed two penalty attempts, they went ahead when their number 10 scythed through the home defence to put a team-mate in under the sticks for a simple early try.

Buckingham replied by building phases and pressure but more ill-discipline allowed Marlow to clear their lines.

A good break by Adam Clarke earned Buckingham a penalty and Marlow a yellow card. The Green and Whites then set up their trusted driving maul to push their opponents over as Jamie Temple trundled with his pack to crash over for their first score.

This try gave the home side confidence to play as they took a quick tap on their own five metre to spin the ball wide through the backs which took them up to half way with some great running rugby. Sadly further ruck infringements gave Marlow another shot which was missed again.

Buckingham continued to get a head of steam as they worked their way up the pitch again with great phases and generating quick ball but they chose to kick the ball and this was charged down and the Marlow 13 ran three quarters of the field to score wide out.

The failed conversion attempt meant Marlow took a 12-5 lead into half-time.

Buckingham then made a terrible start to the second half as Marlow capitalise on some sloppy play to run in a barrage of quickfire tries.

The first came as the Marlow backs span the ball wide and a couple of good off-loads put them in the corner before another good break from the Marlow fly-half got his side deep into Buckingham territory which saw substitute Mallett receive a yellow card for a ruck infringement.

The resulting line-out was worked well by the visitors, who trucked over for a score.

Shortly after, Marlow again had the ball again and their backs started to throw the ball around to the outside for another good score on 53 minutes, followed by a sixth try when a chip and chase ended with a score under the posts.

Now trailing 36-5, Buckingham finally woke from their slumber and produced a much-needed rally to surge back into the game.

A line-out close to the Marlow line allowed Euan to steer the ship over for another driving maul score on 60 minutes, and Buckingham then started to get some real phases together, putting the away side under some heavy pressure.

A quick tap and a wide pass put Adam Clarke away down the wing and he off-loaded to the supporting Mallet, who dived over in the corner.

Converted by Deal on 68 minutes, Buckingham sensed an unlikely comeback was possible with full-back Deal and winger Nibbler making inroads into the Marlow half.

The home side then had another attacking line-out which broke down but Euan Prime stepped in and took a couple of defenders over from close range for a try that was brilliantly converted by Deal.

However, Buckingham’s purple patch was then ended when, looking to push forward for another try, a missed tackle allowed Marlow to break and score for the final time.

Buckingham now switch back to their league campaign and a crunch game against local rivals Aylesbury.