Buckingham leave it late to overcome Stow

editorial image

In a rearranged game from January, Buckingham finally overcame a spirited Stow side but not without some anxious moments as it was with only 15 minutes left that they drew level and then scored two tries to claim a 28-18 victory.

The hosts made a promising start in poor conditions as a strong wind made ball control difficult but nevertheless the first penalty went Buckingham’s way and a long kick by Calum Gillie saw them well inside the Stow half, where they remained until good hands in the backs allowed Max Ikin to score in the corner.

Stow came back well but good defence kept them at bay until finally the pressure paid off and a penalty cut the lead.

The combative Stow eight were giving Buckingham trouble in the set pieces and took the lead after their forwards had done the hard yards to make it 8-5 near the half-hour.

However, five minutes later, Stow were caught offside and Gillie’s penalty levelled the scores at 8-8, only for Stow to pop over for a converted try and a 15-8 half-time lead.

After the change around, Buckingham brought on the cavalry in the shape of Tom Haycock and Jamie Temple and this had a positive impact.

Only ten minutes had been played when sustained pressure on the visitors line resulted in a yellow card for a Stow forward and another drive ended with winger Matt Hawker scoring in the corner.

The tireless Phil Wright was involved throughout with his powerful running and was held up close to the line on more than one occasion as Buckingham battered the Stow line with no reward.

With time ticking on, Stow broke out and a penalty increased their lead to five but Buckingham discovered new resolve and raised their game to near their usual standard.

A break by Gillie in his own 22 was carried on by Wright until another maul was won and the ball spun out to wing Joel Coxon, who scored wide out to level the scores at 18-18.

This seemed to deflate the visitors whilst lifting Buckingham to new heights as another penalty got them within 10 metres of the line and a trademark drive proved unstoppable as Temple claimed the try.

With five minutes left, the hosts ensured victory was theirs when a pass from Tom Cook to Jamie Lee saw him evade despairing tackles and score try number five, crowning a remarkable comeback which had seemed unlikely.

This Saturday, Buckingham host Beaconsfield hoping to avenge the defeat in South Bucks earlier in the season.