Buckingham move off the bottom with first win in 2015

Steve Brunning
Steve Brunning

Buckingham Town moved off the bottom of the Division Two table with their first win since returning to the Home Counties Premier Cricket League away to fellow promoted side Datchet at the weekend.

The home side won the toss and chose to bat first but were reduced to 19-2 early on as Jason Ell and Simon Myatt started well for Buckingham with the ball.

After the openers finished their spells, spinners Ben Stafford and James Gear maintained the pressure and restricted the run-rate at below four-an-over with runs hard to come by.

Tim Alldis (25) and Gareth Harte (23) both made starts but were dismissed by Gear and at the halfway stage Datchet were 83-4.

Eswar Krishnamurthy and Ben Tyler set about rebuilding the innings after the drinks break while Stafford completed his 10 over spell, conceding just 26 runs.

After 35 overs, the score had moved on to 114-4 when Datchet took the batting powerplay and started to increase the run-rate as they scored 31 runs at better than run-a-ball.

The scoring rate continued to increase during the final 10 overs before Ell returned to dismiss Tyler for 32 and end a partnership of 85.

Vishal Valambhia chipped in with a couple of late wickets but Krishnamurthy took control of the final overs, scoring 40 from his last 22 balls to take the score up to a competitive 221-7, and bringing up a fine 100 (108 balls) from the final ball of the innings.

In reply, Buckingham were reduced to 1-1 early on as Harte removed Rob Large for a duck in the third over.

Harte and fellow opening bowler Oliver Smithson kept the pressure after that as Buckingham were only able to score nine runs from the opening eight overs.

Having battled through the opening spells, however, Steve Brunning and Leigh Tomlinson were able to start increasing the run-rate and after Brunning took four boundaries off consecutive balls against Alex Bartlett, the visitors had brought the score back in line with Datchet’s innings at the same point.

The pair had put on 82 for the second wicket when Brunning was dismissed by spinner Harry Stephens for 47, but Jack Wood joined Tomlinson and they built another partnership as Buckingham maintained control of the run chase with the required rate never getting out of hand.

Tomlinson went past 50 and Wood reached 30 before being dismissed by Alldis with the score 170-3.

Jonny Cater came in at number five and ensured there would not be any late fight backs from the bowling side by scoring quickly from the start.

Tomlinson was dismissed just before the end for an excellent 93 which had provided the backbone for the chase, with Cater seeing Buckingham over the line finishing unbeaten on 39 from 18 balls, including a six to win the game.

Buckingham host Great & Little Tew this weekend.