Buckingham notch much-needed away win

Jamie Temple
Jamie Temple

Buckingham gave themselves a glimmer of hope of beating the drop in South West One East with a pivotal 29-16 win over fellow strugglers Devizes.

With three teams to be relegated from the division, Buckingham remain in the drop zone but Saturday’s win keeps them within touching distance of safety.

Buckingham made a positive start on Saturday, hammering the Devizes line for 10 minutes without success as the hosts stood firm and almost immediately, the sharp-looking home backs made their presence felt with a well-worked try to take a five-point lead.

The visitors came back strongly as play swung from end-to-end until Buckingham got on the scoreboard with a penalty from Calum Gillie on 20 minutes, and moments later they were ahead when Jak Cluness picked off a Devizes pass and powered to the line for a try. Gillie converted.

Back came Devizes with another promising attack, only halted with what the referee adjudged to be a high tackle by Cluness, who was sent to the sin bin as the home side slotted over the easy three points.

A break by Josh Graham led to more Buckingham pressure and a penalty for offside saw Gillie find touch for a line-out, from which the visiting pack launched one of their trademark pick and drives that saw Jamie Temple touch down to put his side into a 15-8 half-time lead.

After the restart, Devizes threw everything at Buckingham, going through phase after phase, at the end of which they were no further forward than when they started such was the ferocity of the Buckingham tackling.

It took Devizes 15 minutes to score and a drop goal was all they could muster.

In contrast, when Buckingham finally got to the home end, their forwards shunted their opponents back once again for Harry Scarr to score wide out.

Gillie’s excellent conversion added the extra two points and Buckingham were now enjoying much the better of the forward exchanges and they all but sealed victory when another unstoppable drive took them over with Temple scoring his second.

Again Gillie produced another superb kick from the touch-line to add the extras and secure victory, although the hosts did manage a consolation try on the final whistle.

This Saturday, there is a rest from league action as Buckingham travel to play Marlow in the final of the Bucks Cup. The supporters bus leaves the club at 11.15am for a 2pm kick-off.