Depleted Tows earn gritty win

Gus Hopewell goes over for a try
Gus Hopewell goes over for a try

AN injury-hit Towcestrians RFC side overcame their problems to hit back from last week’s heavy defeat to see off Newark 17-12 in a tense encounter in Midlands One East.

A pugnacious game began badly for Tows as late injury problems continued, meaning Joe Chambers had to be recalled from the development team’s trip to Olney to pay at tight head.

The match started in familiar fashion with Tows’ injury-riddled pack struggling to keep possession, which resulted in them having to put up a dogged defence to protect their line.

However, the weight of the attack eventually told as Newark fly half Danny Coen crossed under the posts before the same man missed the conversion and that seemed to prove costly in a tight match.

With limited possession, Tows still looked dangerous through the probing of stand in fly half Mark Yeates.

The opportunity then showed itself when number eight Craig Holton held off tackles in a tight situation on the touch line to release young winger Gus Hopewell to race in.

An unsuccessful conversion attempt left the scores at 5-5 at half time.

After the break, Tows began to stretch the heavier Newark pack across the field and gradually wore them down with prop Chambers deciding to go blind and, with overlaps to the sides, charged over to score on the line.

This was then followed by Captain Liam Wilkinson, who bundled through to touch down for a third try under the posts before Yuill converted.

Tows now looked completely in control of proceedings – leading 17-5 – but a loose pass gifted the visitors a second try.

Attacking deep in Newark’s half, Towcestrians saw a pass go directly to opposing winger and captain Chris Tate, who sprinted three quarters of the pitch to score under the posts and give Coen an easy conversion to set up a tense finish.

But the home side fought tenaciously to hold on and remain seventh in the table with a trip to Kettering this weekend to come.

Elsewhere, Towcestrians 2nds were beaten by Olney but Towcestrians 3rds inflicted a heavy 50-0 defeat on Old Scouts while the 4ths beat SaL 53-26.