Horwood stay second with big win

Sam Willett batting
Sam Willett batting

Great Horwood remain second in Division One of the Oxfordshire Cricket Association following a comfortable 92-run victory in a rain-affected game against Chadlington.

Home skipper Stuart Parker lost the toss and it came as no surprise when the visitors put Horwood into bat first in the wet conditions.

Parker and Sam Willett opened the innings but could only muster 13 for the first wicket as Parker departed for 11, and that was followed by a brisk 19 from number three Glyn Davies, who was then caught to leave his side 36-2.

However, a third-wicket partnership turned the innings around and proved decisive as Dale Armitage and Willett added 77 much-needed runs.

The duo scored freely and quickly to put Horwood on the font foot and although Willett was eventually bowled for an excellent 56 from 66 balls, the partnership had set Horwood on course for a strong total.

Matt Mcstraw joined Armitage and they continued to move the score along at a good pace with Armitage ending unbeaten on 56 from 49 balls and Mcstraw finishing 22 not out from 19 balls as Horwood closed on 175-3 from their innings, which was reduced to 28 overs due to the rain.

In Chadlington’s reply, Dale Armitage (1-16) made the early breakthrough courtesy of a Davies stumping, while Adam Armitage (1-9) bowled economically at the other end as the visiting batsmen found runs hard to come by.

At the halfway stage, both Armitage bowlers had bowled their seven overs and the score was only 28-2 with Chadlington still needing another 148 to win.

Neil Wilkins (1-17) came into the attack and continued to keep the pressure on, however with Chadlington never in the hunt for the runs, it was Matt Mcstraw who picked up the vital wickets to give Horwood four bonus bowling points as he took 5-35 and ripped through the lower order.

Chadlington eventually finished on 83-8 to give Horwood victory and 28 points and ensure they remain in second place in the league.

Next week Horwood travel to Stonesfield with a 1:30 start.

Horwood IIs’ game at Broughton in Division Six was abandoned.