In-form Bicester demolish Chesham to remain second

Dan Spencer. Picture by Steven Prouse.
Dan Spencer. Picture by Steven Prouse.

Bicester staged a solid all-round performance with both their forwards and backs combining well to run in eight tries in a 50-5 victory over Chesham on Saturday.

Bicester took the lead after six minutes when they overturned a Chesham scrum and number 8 Dan Spencer embarked on a barnstorming 30-metre run to the line for an opening try.

Moments later, Mike Harris set-up James Holton and Bicester recycled the ball out wide to the right where right-wing Dave Aslett added a second Bicester try, soon followed by a third when Ryan Gallacher touched down and Spencer converted.

Chesham’s Dan Cady briefly arrested the Bicester onslaught with an unconverted score, but the hosts continued to rack up the points with Jake Sawyer sailing under the posts after Holton and Matt Dye combined.

After the break, Bicester picked up from where they left off as Harris shimmied past two visiting defenders to increase their lead before Aslett darted over for his second try.

Gallacher was next across for a score on the right – and he was followed by Dave Behan, who stretched across for Bicester’s eighth and final try.

Bicester, who remain second in the BBO Premier, visit Chipping Norton this weekend.

Meanwhile, in the Oxfon County Veterans Cup first round, Bicester Vets were beaten 45-15 by Banbury Vets.

It took just 11 minutes for the home side to go ahead as Banbury took advantage of some weak Bicester tackling, but the visitors hit back through Granville Williams.

Banbury increased their lead in the second half and they raced away with victory, running in try after try, as only Stuart Hutchins and Ian Jolliff went over for Bicester.

Elsewhere, the Colts were comfortably beaten 20-3 by Maidenhead in OBB Colts Division One.

Will Wheedon put Maidenhead ahead with an early penalty and the visitors increased their lead to 15-3 at half-time before sealing victory in the second half, with Bicester’s only score coming thanks to the boot of George Upton, who slotted over a 25-metre penalty kick.

The IIs were also beaten despite Freddie Everitt’s brace of tries against Bletchley.