Rampant Bicester demolish sorry MK

Jubilant Bicester players celebrate after thrashing Milton Keynes
Jubilant Bicester players celebrate after thrashing Milton Keynes

Bicester RFC put in a stunning display of fast, open rugby to run in 12 tries and dismantle a sorry Milton Keynes side 76-0.

The home side’s forwards and backs worked perfectly in unison to score six tries in each half and clinch Bicester’s third win in four games in the Southern Counties North.

To their credit, Milton Keynes never gave up, and they went close on several occasions, but the Bicester defence remained rock solid throughout.

Once again, the Bicester scrum was always in the ascendancy as both club captain Dan Spencer and winger Dave Aslett scored a hat-trick of tries, while Man of the Match Spencer also converted eight of the 12 tries.

In addition, winger Matty Duncalf and replacement centre Chris Harley contributed two apiece, with flanker Jack Horwood and fly-half James Grosvenor both crossing once.

Bicester were 12 points ahead before the visitors even touched the ball as, straight from kick-off, a quick burst up the left hand side by centre John Behan sucked in the Milton Keynes defence, and the ball was spread across the field to the right where Duncalf completed a 30-metre sprint to the try line.

That was then followed by Spencer’s first try, which he also converted, before Duncalf was sent across by Will Anns for his second on 23 minutes.

The hosts were now rampant and scrum half Mike Harris then initiated a move that culminated in a converted try for Jack Horwood, which was followed by Aslett’s 40-metre sprint to the posts with Spencer again adding the extras.

There was still time left for another first half score as a superb cross-field handling move involving Behan, Grosvenor, Duncalf and Weise ended with Aslett touching down for yet another try as Bicester took an unassailable 38-0 lead into the break.

After half-time, the home side soon increased their advantage when flanker Steve Limbrick and Harris drove off a line-out on the left and Grosvenor cut a superb line to the right for the supporting Spencer to scamper across to the right of the posts.

He converted and seven minutes later, the same man finished off another slick handling move, featuring Harris and Wiese, to register his hat-trick.

Bicester’s utter dominance continued with Chris Harley scoring a brace of tries before Aslett and Grosvenor both crossed to complete the rout.

Bicester Colts also enjoyed a resounding win when Lewis Foy scored a hat-trick in their 51-0 thrashing of Oxford Quins, while Pete Howard’s brace helped the IIs defeat Bracknell IIIs 22-5, but the IIIs were beaten 17-8 by Hungerford.

This weekend, Bicester’s first team play their final game before the three-week Christmas break when they travel to high-flying Stow-on-the-Wold.